Act for Kids
Act for Kids is an Australian charity providing free therapy and support services to children and families who have experienced, or are at risk of, child abuse and neglect. They have helped thousands of children and families for over 28 years. Act for Kids operates twenty-two centres with a team of over 300 staff from Adelaide all the way up to the Cape York Peninsula. Their services have expanded to include integrated therapy, support for vulnerable families, special workshops to empower kids and safe houses in remote Aboriginal communities.
For this month’s Sewalong, we are asking you to create and donate one or more pieces of clothing, made by sewing, embroidering, crafting or a combination of them all. Act for Kids works with children and adults all the way from age 1 to 20, so there are so many possibilities and ways to get involved!
Also, for the first time, we are running a sewalong competition where you can create a garment for yourself, or as a donation. By simply uploading a photo of the before and after, you will have the chance to win a fabulous Echidna Prize Pack!
Requirements for Each Project
You will need to ensure that your project complies with the following rules, since these are donations that will be given to children:
- Use only new materials
- Needs to be clean and free from chemicals, smoke and pet hair
- It cannot have any potential choking hazards like buttons, beads, ribbons, hems or rhinestones attached.
- This Sewalong will run from 1st June- 30th June, 2017
- Embroidery – Purchase any ready-made children’s outfit for age range (1 – 5). Then decorate it with embroidery, applique or a ScanNCut design.
- Sewing – Create any kids clothing outfit for age range (3 – 6).
For ideas and inspiration please view our Echidna Pinterest Page including Kids Sewing Projects, Clothing Sewing Projects and DIY Printed Shirts.
You can also find many more projects online at Craftsy.