Let’s help make Happy Help by sewing for Koala Kids
Our February sewalong is dedicated to Koala Kids Foundation, an organization which provides the small things that bring happiness to children and young people (3 – 24 years) undergoing cancer treatment.
We can brighten their day by sewing special keepsakes to include in their very own Happy Bags, which are full of comforting and practical items for them and their families to use during hospital stays.
They promise that each and every item created will find its way to children and young people undergoing cancer treatment.
- February Sewalong will run from 1st – 28th February, 2017
- We are asking you to provide an item of your choice, which can be folded to fit inside a Happy Bag with the other items (Bag is 300mm deep x 250mm wide)
- Items may include a pillow case (silk, one side not embroidered), a cotton hand towel or face washer, a cotton drawstring bag (plastic lined for toiletries), a small zip purse, a larger, flat toy or Lego bag, a pencil case etc.
Please see more ideas for children’s sewing on our Kid’s Sewing Pinterest page.
Add a little Embroidery!
The fun part is embroidering the Koala Kids orange ‘smiley nose’ into your design.
There are a few ways you can use these embroidery designs to compliment your project.
Embroider one or a few full colour smiley noses onto your project for the children to find.
- Download Full Colour Smiley Embroidery Design (zip, 130kb)
Or download the outline embroidery design to stitch on suitable fabrics for the children or family members to colour in.
- Download Outline Smiley Embroidery Designs (zip, 19kb)
Both embroidery designs will fit in a 4″ x 4″ (10cm x 10cm) hoop.
Things to remember
These sewalongs are a great way to get inspired by what everyone creates, while giving to a worthy cause. If you’re new to sewing or embroidering then don’t despair. This is a great chance for you to get involved and have fun no matter what the outcome.
How long do I have to create each project?
Since we are featuring a new charity each month the February Sewalong will run from 1st – 28th February, 2017. So if you’re hoping to follow along this is a good indication on time frames. However, we will be listing all of the projects online throughout the year, so you can still pick and choose which ones you would like to create, donate or make for yourself or a loved one. These are projects that will always be welcome by the charity, so feel free to create January’s idea in March etc.
You can view the full list of Charity Projects online.
We will also be giving away a number of Universal Magazine prizes, which will be drawn on Monday, 7th March, 2017. However, we will also give away a number of prizes at random throughout the year for any sewalong project submitted, no matter which month it’s sent in.
To enter, simply take a photo of your finished project, then post it to our Echidna Facebook Community or email it to email@example.com.
Sending in your donations
If you would like to donate your special item to fit inside a Koala Kids Happy Bag please do the following:
- Place your item in a self-sealed clear plastic bag for the young people with cancer as a germ control safety precaution.
- Drop it off to any of our four Echidna store locations
- Or post it to:
Att: Echidna Sewing for Charity
Koala Kids Foundation
441 Auburn Road
SEW ALONG BADGES
If you have your own sewing/embroidery blog you can save the following badges and post it on your blog entry, linking back to this page.
- Donate or find out more about Koala Kids on their website
- Follow Koala Kids on their Facebook Page
- Join the Echidna Facebook Sewing & Embroidery Community for inspiration
- Visit the Echidna website
One thought on “February – Charity Sewalong”