Our first Echidna sew along is for Aussie Hero Quilts – A blog dedicated to encouraging people to make quilts and laundry bags for Aussie service men and women currently serving overseas and to express our gratitude for their service.
“We care about the people – not the politics or the mission. Our quilts are not works of art, but works of the heart.”
Sew Along Brief
- January Sewalong will run from Jan 1st – Jan 31st.
- We are asking you to create a laundry bag (download the pattern & instructions)
- The colours, material and design will need to be themed appropriately for MEN only. (This is due to Aussie Heroes currently running low in men’s themed laundry bags)
- These bags need to be unique so the service men can quickly find and locate their laundry bags. Therefore we ask you decorate them appropriately by sewing, quilting, embroidering, applique or with Flex/Flock transfers using your ScanNCut machine.
Things to remember
These sewalongs are a great way to get inspired by what everyone creates, while giving to a worthy cause. If you’re new to sewing or embroidering then don’t despair. This is a great chance for you to get involved and have fun not matter what the outcome.
How long do I have to create each project?
Since we are featuring a new charity each month the January Sewalong will run from 1st – 31st January, 2017. So if you’re hoping to follow along this is a good indication on time frames. However, we will be listing all of the projects online throughout the year, so you can still pick and choose which ones you would like to create, donate or make for yourself or a loved one. These are projects that will always be welcome by the charity, so feel free to create January’s idea in March etc.
You can view the full list of Charity Projects online.
We will also be giving away a number of Universal Magazine prizes, which will be drawn on Monday 6th February, 2017. However, we will also give away a number of prizes at random throughout the year for any sewalong project submitted, no matter which month it’s sent in.
To enter simply take a photo of your finished laundry bag and post them to our Echidna Facebook Community or email them to email@example.com
If you would like to donate your laundry bag to Aussie Heroes please do either of the following:
- Drop it off to any of our four store locations
- Or post it to Aussie Heroes address: PO Box 248, Cherrybrook, NSW 2126
Sew Along Badges
If you have your own sewing/embroidery blog you can save the following badges and post it on your blog entry, linking back to this page.
4 thoughts on “Sewing For Charity – January Sewalong”
Why only men there are women serving as well. Not being funny just want to know why they do not need them
Thank you for your question. Aussie Heroes has just let us know that they currently have quite a lot of female themed laundry bags that they are able to use for all of the wonderful women serving for our country. Therefore, we thought we could restock the men’s themed laundry bags which they are currently low in. I’m sure once we have finished this sewalong they will be back to needed both men’s and women’s laundry bags 🙂 I hope that helps! I will also update this in the brief to let everyone know. Thank you!!